VA St. Louis Health Care System
Pharmacy Information for Non-VA Providers
VA Prescription Benefits
Many veterans prefer to have their prescriptions filled at the VA St. Louis Health Care System to take advantage of the pharmacy benefit available to veterans. Please ask your patient if they will be going to the VA St. Louis Health Care system Pharmacy to have a prescription you have written filled. Below are some important facts to remember when prescribing medications to your veteran patients who may want take your prescription to the VA Medical Center Pharmacy:
- Please DO NOT send a patient to the VA St. Louis Medical Center with the assumption that the prescription you write will automatically be honored. The VA St. Louis Medical Center Pharmacy cannot fill prescriptions written by non-VA physicians.
- Patients are eligible for medications only for those conditions for which they are receiving active treatment at the St. Louis VA Medical Center.
- The VA Medical Center will not provide medications that are not listed on the VA Medication Formulary
- VA providers may choose not to assume liability for medications prescribed by a physician at a non-VA facility.
- Please call and discuss your medication recommendations with the patient’s VA provider.